Are you a follower of Thoreau? Have we complicated life too much?

Grindaur

Verified Curmudgeon
Reaction score
To quote the review (and Henry David Thoreau) Our life is frittered away by detail. An honest man has hardly need to count more than his ten fingers, or in extreme cases he may add his ten toes, and lump the rest. Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity! I say, let your affairs be as two or three, and not a hundred or a thousand." -Henry David Thoreau, Walden
Do you feel the need to simplify your life? How about switching to a one handed watch? No need to agonize if you are gaining or loosing 5 seconds/day or even 50 seconds!
Problem is even as a retiree I have commitments and appointments that will not say ok you only have to be accurate to 15 minutes with your attendance. But the looks of these are striking.

neeble

Reaction score
I can see the advantage of having one of those to wear when you're on holiday, or even at the weekend.

But I get pleasure from seeing what level of accuracy a fully mechanical watch can be pushed to, and being able to observe that. I never cease to find it remarkable.

SeikoForum

Timing is Everything
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
It’s because our lives are monotonous and complicated that the constant ticking of a mechanical marvel can add excitement and a soothing feeling of reassurance throughout the day. That’s why we love watches.

FluxDensity

Official Seiko WIS
Reaction score
But yet somehow you are trying to convince me that a mono record is the "bomb." 🤔
Just exactly how am I trying to convince you? It's my opinion as well as millions of other Beatles fans, that their albums and singles mono mixes are far superior sounding to the stereo mixes.

The Beatles themselves were always present for the mono mix sessions and signed off on them before they were mastered. The stereo mixes were always an afterthought left up to to George Martin and the various balance engineers who worked on those sessions - The Fab Four could have cared less about stereo at the time, as well as much of the record buying public. All albums except Let it Be and Abbey Road were released in both mono and stereo versions.

The stereo panning on the early records (recorded only on 2-track and then 4-track machines) were never they way the band intended them to sound. The hard left and hard right pannings of the vocals and instruments sound goofy as hell. You have to realize stereo was in it's infancy in the early days, and the majority of people in the early '60s had mono record players and playback systems in their home.

Get over it dude and let your ears decide. I suggest you read Mark Lewisohn's many published works which delves deeply into this subject.

Last edited:

FluxDensity

Official Seiko WIS
Reaction score
But yet somehow you are trying to convince me that a mono record is the "bomb." 🤔
I don't like mono hands on watches! I prefer my automatic watches to be analogue stereo! :)

prajaofetra

Reaction score
Just exactly how am I trying to convince you? It's my opinion as well as millions of other Beatles fans, that their albums and singles mono mixes are far superior sounding to the stereo mixes.

The Beatles themselves were always present for the mono mix sessions and signed off on them before they were mastered. The stereo mixes were always an afterthought left up to to George Martin and the various balance engineers who worked on those sessions - The Fab Four could have cared less about stereo at the time, as well as much of the record buying public. All albums except Let it Be and Abbey Road were released in both mono and stereo versions.

The stereo panning on the early records (recorded only on 2-track and then 4-track machines) were never they way the band intended them to sound. The hard left and hard right pannings of the vocals and instruments sound goofy as hell. You have to realize stereo was in it's infancy in the early days, and the majority of people in the early '60s had mono record players and playback systems in their home.

Get over it dude and let your ears decide. I suggest you read Mark Lewisohn's many published works which delves deeply into this subject.
just trying to be cheeky here.😊

About this Discussion

Thread Author:
Grindaur
    Replies
    Views
    Participants
Last Reply:
prajaofetra

WatchForum.com Since 2019

We are a close-knit family of watch collectors, owners, and enthusiasts. We hold specialized knowledge in brands such as Rolex, Seiko, Omega, Breitling, as well as vintage timepieces. We are also well-versed in the areas of watch repair and watchmaking. Our mission is to rebuild the camaraderie and collegiate atmosphere of watch collecting from the early days of the 1990's and 2000's that Instagram has lost.
    Members

Total Forum Statistics

Threads
Views
Members
Latest member
blubarb